CCMS reminds eligible professionals that today is the last day to submit applications to receive a hardship exception. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. ET in order to be considered. An interactive tool is available to help eligible professionals determine if they will avoid upcoming 2015 and 2016 Medicare EHR Incentive Program payment adjustments by demonstrating meaningful use, or if they should apply for a hardship exception.
Applying for Hardship Exception Entries must include supporting documentation that proves demonstrating meaningful use presented significant hardship. The hardship exception applications for eligible professionals and eligible professionals submitting multiple National Provider Identifiers (NPIs) are available on the EHR website. Please keep the following in mind when applying:
- Read and follow the submission instructions on the application.
- All required supporting documentation must be included at the time of submission.
- Complete your application online and submit it electronically to EHRhardship@provider-resources.com with all required supporting documentation to reduce the application processing time.
- If possible, please use Acrobat Reader to create and save your applications.
- Please do not submit hand-written applications.
CMS will review applications to determine whether or not a hardship exception will be granted. If approved, the exception is valid for one year.
Hardship Exception Resources You can also avoid payment adjustments by successfully demonstrating meaningful use prior to the payment adjustment. Tipsheets are available on the CMS website that outline when eligible professionals must demonstrate meaningful use in order to avoid the payment adjustments.
Want more information about the EHR Incentive Programs?Make sure to visit the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs website for the latest news and updates on the EHR Incentive Programs.